Tuesday, February 22, 2011

New at this

Today is my first time attempting to blog! It's actually quite scary. I have no idea what the heck I'm doing, but my very teenagery teenager has informed me that as a writer I must put myself out there, so to speak. So here I am: a woman of a certain age whose cerebral cortex is full of made up stories. Stories I wish to package as a novels some day...soon. I've written poetry since the age of eight which usually doesn't follow any order and they sometime rhyme but there's no reason (lol), yet I myself am rather orderly. I jump from genre to genre too. At this moment I have several novels in the works, some are anywhere from 100,000 words to 15,000.

My books are Christian fiction but I don't believe they're preachy. Two of my novels are horror. My favorite Christian fiction writer is Ted Dekker and following at a close second is Frank Perretti. My thing, I would say, is romance. Although as I stated before, I've found myself hopping from this to that.

"The Appearance of Evil" and "Ancient Faces" are the titles of the horror stories oozing from my cranium. Hmm, I wonder if they'll scare any body since of yet they don't scare me.

Then there's "Adam's Eve" and "Serena's Heart", two romances followed by "Heaven's Hive", a mystery. I've also written two childrens picture books titled: "Whiskers not Included" and "When Mommy says No"/"When Mommy says Yes," a doubled sided book.

I'm happy to say the Childrens books are completed! And when I say completed in my head; I'm saying it like a mad scientist because, yeah, that's how I feel!

Oh, I forgot... or maybe I didn't. In November my family moved to another city in the same state. My friend had told me about a contest were a person tries to write 50,000 words from November 1st to the 30th. I thought hey, I can do this since I was writing anywhere from 350 to 1400 words per day anyway. Well to make a long story short, in our new house the cable company couldn't get us hooked up for 14 days plus we were moving. We'd sold the house and there was a deadline but no matter what each day I'd write in my journal titled 50,000 Words or Cuss I mean Bust (lol). This was to be a fresh new story, not something already in progress.

Maybe some of you are familar with National Novel Writers Month (Nanowrimo). Sigh. When the computer was ready to go. I typed in all the words I had so dedicatedly scribbled out. The date was November 23, 2010. Wellll, I thought I was good to go. Hmmph, I found out I only had 8,000 words were as the rest of the world was half way through.

I had to do this! I just had to do this anyway. The Mad Hatter in me rushed out and took total control. Yay!  I began from that day on rising at 6:00am, got my family ready for school and work and proceeded to type until my fingers smoked. Then at the end of my day, usually about 3:00 or 4:00 a.m., I'd blow out my fingers like a gunslinger and hang up my holster until 2:00 p.m. when I'd resume my search for the good guys and the bad.  Homemaker by day... Sheriff writing gunslinger by night! Eventually I came to the conclusion that I'd never make the deadline even at these unstructured hours.

I stayed up for 46 hours straight to write what I thought was by far some of my best writing and a fantasy to boot, which I'd never even considered writing. It turns out that is one of my favorite genres. I felt free... really free! Now I knew why a lot of people I associated with adored fantasy writing. It was pure and utter freedom. Things which otherwise had to at least be plausible in fiction book...anything was allowed in fantasy Yahoo!

Bam, I finished it with hours to spare, 42,000 words in 7days! Then I crashed. I was loopy, but thrilled... more than thrilled! I don't even think there is a word for what I felt. You're probably thinking "What's the sad part?" Later in the month of December, right after Christmas, I accidently copied over my fantasy titled: "Neja: The Last Stand." By then I had 72,000 words with the prequel to that book titled: "Neja: The Begining in the works. I try not to think of it anymore, until now of course.

Needless to say that hurt and still hurts. God and I wrote that book. Why did it have to happen? I sometimes wonder why God didn't step in to prevent this mishap. I mean we'd just finished this fabulous story together, but knowing what I know of God there was and is a lesson to be learned in this.

I really rambled here! I'm not sure if I'm approaching this new adventure of blogging correctly. I've never even read a blog. There it is though. All my novels in the works. Oops, I forgot, I wrote some fan-fiction. Hey, I'll tell you guys about that some other time. I'm wearing the wrong costume right now! My family awaits dinner.

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow. I grieve with you over the loss of that book. I just don't understand things like that--but I trust that HE does.

    I enjoyed hearing about your journey today . . . of course I'd love to know who you are. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and I love that your teenager is cheering you on. My teenage daughter (now almost 21, an "official" adult) helped me be brave many times. It's really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "50,000 words or Cuss I mean Bust"
    Absolutely love that!!
    So me when I am writing, which is coming in spurts these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Daphne! And I love you're name!

    ReplyDelete